GPS Speedometer

A GPS speedometer can be useful because it gives you the actual speed over the ground without relying on the vehicle’s wheel size, gearing, or existing speed sensor. I've also made a second version with mph unit.

This is the mph version with the same hardware.

Parts required:

1. ESP32 S3 Supermini
AliExpress➡️ Buy Option 1  Buy Option 2
 

2. 1.28" GC9A01 display

AliExpress➡️ Buy option 1  Buy option 2 

3. GPS module (NEO-7M + Antenna)

AliExpress➡️ Buy option 1  Buy option 2 

4. Lipo battery 3.7v
AliExpress➡️ Buy Option 1  Buy Option 2

Circuit Diagram

Source Code:

I've uploaded the source code (both km/h & mph) in my drive


Note: Before you upload and run into an error make sure you-

Download all required libraries :
i) lvgl (Only use v8.3.11)
ii) LovyanGFX (latest)


You can also install libraries directly from Arduino IDE library manager.

Use Arduino IDE v2.3.4 and esp32 board v3.x.x by espressif



Note: It takes about 10-15 minutes to compile the code first time. You need to wait for 1-2 minutes to get satellite signal after a cold start. Placing the GPS module indoor will reduce the signal reception.

If you face any issue send me an email with subject "gps meter" to abid.business01@gmail.com

Comments

  1. e usabile anche il classico schermo rotondo che usi abitualmente?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The .ino program calls an none-existant file name Preferences ..

    See line 5 of GpsSpeedKM.ino
    #include

    Please, what has the Preference.h 's content to be ?
    It's easy to create an empty file, but it is better to use it properly with the appropriate content.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a built-in library for esp32. To save mileage data in the NVS so even after you reset the board the mileage will not be erased.

      Delete
  3. Hey there,
    This is an amazing project that I’m actually going to make for a project motorcycle that I’ve just started yesterday.

    I was wondering if this could be “ported” to have a second display show the engine RPM and the selected transmission gear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad, I see you’ve already done it, nice work!

      Delete

Post a Comment